CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday 6 May 2010

Of Swimming and Tortuous Tube Journeys

I've got the kids to take swimming this evening, and I'm really wishing (since the sky has done me the personal favour of turning dark already) that I could just go, get it over and done with!

Last week I enjoyed the thrill of walking that mile in the cold, frosty, pitch black night with three impressionable youngsters, telling them cool stories about the ghostly gardener, who occupies that churchyard today I'm looking at that omnious sky and thinking about warm cosy places I'd rather be!

....In other news, was going through an old Lesson Diary from 2002, and found it filled with all sorts of uninteresting dribbles. I'm not sure I was a very interesting person at that age. I found full listing of everything I'd recieved as birthday presents (who ever knew it was so easy to please a 10 year old? Mobile Phone? Set up for life!), a complete account of the recent congregational meeting from church and musings on farms I'd been to.

A few days on from my birthday was the entry telling me I'd put a security code on my phone and forgotten it (How little it takes to cast your entire world into despair at that age!)
I really wish I'd kept a personal diary through those years!

Anyway the point of pointing this out was something different. On a page dated for January there was a little riddle. How cute! (Okay, maybe that's strange to say that about oneself...)
It took me nearly 10 minutes to work out a riddle which I'd written myself! I mean, when all is said and done, who in the world knows my mind and its workings better than...well, ME? This story is a little sad.

I interupt this fascinating writing to tell you that Max has just arrived by my elbow (he says Hi) - telling me that I'm looking uncommonly lovely tonight.Awww.I'm not falling for that again.As I take a quick look at him, maybe he is thinking something is lovely, and while he may be addressing me, his mind is on my chewing gum... I can see that little glance!

Little brothers aside, I was on the tube again yesterday. Not the most interesting of rides, but not the most boring either.As I shoved into the carriage (last one in - people these days! I was the youngest by 20 years if a day) I felt a prodding in my back.

Naturally in situations such as these, although one is precariously balancing on the very edge of the doorway, one must turn round.

A much shorter woman, in her late twenties was standing there, trying to create space with her umbrella. I just had to admire her brain, and use of appropriate weaponary! Just as the doors were closing she managed to squeeze in, just beside me. She put her umbrella down between her bag and the door, grinned widely and told me:
"Just providing your entertainment, to keep you going until the weekend!"

Australian...hmmmmm, how did I guess she wouldn't be English? I smiled widely back, entertainment she did provide!

She left at the next stop, leaving me a little bit of space (not much, but a little)just enough for the guy on the other side to shift slightly and stand on my foot.He looked so English that I was unprepared for

"Eeeee, o! I am soo sorrrrrieee"

One obviously reassures that they have sustained no lasting damage, but without thinking I just said in my very best French accent
"Eh? No no, s'okay" I then blanched with horror, but he grinned widely again (the theme of this tube journey) and nodded, rather obviously acknowleging a fellow countryman. I now know I should do this more often.

Then a random guy gave up his seat for a pregnant woman, something I've never seen in all my train journeys of all time (It's always women who give up their seats) - it was an amazing moment!

Lastly I want to say that I woke up today minus my ability to climb stairs. I'm used to this feeling when I've done something dreadful in martial arts - or maybe lots of swimming, but I did nothing yesterday!

Do you think I went sleepwalking up a hill or something? This is worrying.

1 comments:

Violet Moonbeam said...

Constance!!! This is Heather! I am now following you... but if you want to follow me,,, :D my blog is http://violetmoonbeam.blogspot.com/ so yea!! love you and miss you!
ttyl!